What’s the Plan?Do you see something that isn’t quite right in your pavement, but not sure what to do? The first step to get the best plan in place is to determine what type of deterioration is occurring. A licensed and certified asphalt contractor like Cassidy Paving can help you figure out what is exactly going on. It is best to not try to determine this on your own. There’s often more going on than what meets the eye and only a trained specialist can tell the complexity. Asphalt Magazine details the most common types of distress:
- Cracking- There can be several different types of cracks such as fatigue, block, edge, and slippage cracks. Each of these signifies different issues and can be diagnosed by professionals.
- Distortion- This is the result of unstable or weak subgrade levels of the subgrade layers of asphalt.
- Disintegration- This is very common and happens over time when traffic rides over a particular area repeatedly. There are small pieces that are lost when this happens in the form of raveling.
- Skidding hazards- If you’ve noticed that your pavement has become extra slippery when it rains, this is a common issue. Pavement should have the ability to eradicate standing water.
- Surface treatment distress- When the surface treatments start to degrade too soon this can cause its own set of troubles.